The Frugal Editor, 3rd Edition, by Carolyn Howard-Johnson
"I have been in [the publishing business] for 23 years, and I was dumbfounded at the little tricks, suggestions, and how-tos on so many topics...like MS Word, which I thought I knew everything about! Take it from someone who has traditionally published 17 novels...knowledge abounds in this book, and no author is too advanced to pick up this book and NOT glean something. I'm impressed...and I don't impress easily. Well done."
—Hope Clark, author and Vine Reviewer, founder of FundsforWriters
Why a third edition?
Carolyn explains, "It surprises people when they learn that grammar rules change over time. Or that what they learned in high school or college is either passé or may not apply to fiction. Further, as my client base grew, I kept running into common misconceptions and outright annoying style choices that would never fly in the publishing world. Thus, a new edition of The Frugal Editor was a must!" Here is a smattering of what's new:
• Beta readers and peer reviewers
• What you probably don't know about custom dictionaries
• Up-to-date rules for accommodating gender-specific and other cultural needs
• A chapter for word-lovers and poets
• Quickie reviews of word processors
• What front and back matter can do for your book sales, your career, and your readers
• Considerations around sensitive language have evolved greatly over recent years
• How to spot publishing scams